Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Back to School...

37 years old, married, 5 kids, 2 dogs, full time career, playing in a band that gigs twice a month, logging 400+ volunteer hours a year. What would you do? I would go to school and get a degree.... In my free time.

The thought and desire have been there lurking in the back of my mind since I graduated from NAIT in 1995. A degree was something that eluded me, but in what faculty? Some would say Engineering and while it fit with my career as a designer and now project manager this just never felt right, or accessible. What was missing was the direction and the opportunity. The opportunity recently presented itself unexpectedly (a commercial on TV) and direction fell into place shortly there after. All with in the past two weeks. So with a bunch of research, numerous emails, and enormous encouragement from my wife (my number 1 supporter, the rope that holds me together, my rock, you know, her) I defined the future that had long eluded me and set the wheels of opportunity into motion.

On April 4, 2011 I went online and submitted my application to the Bachelor of Technology Program at NAIT. No turning back! Application is sent, application fee paid and transcripts ordered. Overwhelmed much. Yup.

The plan, the goal, the lofty pie in the sky dream is to graduate with a B.Tech degree in the year I turn 40, 2014, 3 years from now. An ambitious undertaking, but one which I feel strongly motivated towards. And with the support of Coreena I know nothing is impossible (seriously have you met this woman?!). Beyond that the ultimate prize for which this degree is a stepping stone towards, an MBA. Huge I know. But I am putting it out there, in black and white for the whole universe to see and hold me accountable for. Accountability to the universe is some serious shit after all.

So it begins and so I write about it for all who are interested in the trials and tribulations of a busy middle age husband/father/musician/project manager as he seeks higher education.

I know that there will be sacrifices and that some of my extra curricular and volunteer stuff will have to take a back seat. And I know that extra effort will be required to maintain and preserve and continue to build the relationships I have especially with my wife and kids. And I know of that the work will be hard! But in the long run I hope that the example I am setting for my kids will inspire them as they grow into adulthood and stake their claim in the world. Inspire them to never give up on their dreams. Inspire them that it is NEVER too late. Inspire them to be all and everything that I know they can be. If I can achieve this then it will all have been worth while.

And so that is step one. The plan is defined and set into motion.

To be continued...

No comments: